The Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth
The standard Bradley® series is designed for small classes with lots of individual attention. The standard length of the classes is 12 weeks covering 12 units of instruction. The Student Workbook is included in classes. It has 130 pages with over 75 pictures and illustrations. A coach card is also included. Your local Bradley® teacher is an independent affiliated instructor. Some classes are video enriched and offer a Certificate of Congratulations. For the protection of the public, the terms, "The Bradley Method®" and "Husband-Coached Childbirth®" have been registered. Only those teachers currently affiliated with the Academy may teach The Bradley Method®.
Your currently affiliated Bradley® instructor wants you and your baby to have the best, safest, and most rewarding birth experience possible. For that reason we endorse and teach the following ideals in classes: 1. Natural Childbirth
2. Active participation of the husband as coach.
3. Excellent nutrition, the foundation of a healthy pregnancy.
4. Avoidance of drugs during pregnancy, birth, and breastfeeding unless absolutely necessary.
5. Training:"Early-birth" classes followed by weekly classes starting in the 6th month, continuing until birth.
6. Relaxation and NATURAL breathing.
7. "Tuning-in" to your own body.
8. Immediate and continuous contact with your new baby.
9. Breastfeeding, beginning at birth.
10. Consumerism and positive communications.
11. Parents taking responsibility for the safety of the birth place, procedures, attendants, and emergency back-up.
12. Parents prepared for unexpected situations such as emergency childbirth, and cesarean section.
Educated parents have the responsibility to make these choices themselves. They also need to seek personnel who have natural childbirth experience and who will support their choices. This may take considerable effort and sometimes requires seeking special personnel or traveling great distances to achieve the safest possible birth.